Thursday, May 1, 2014

EMOTIONS!



Yesterday I went to see my acupuncturist (for those who don’t know what that is it’s a healer and yes it involves getting these tiny needles poked into you but no it doesn’t hurt…..I used to think that it looked unimaginably uncomfortable until I finally tried it-And Man! I have seriously been hooked since!). My acupuncturist is this really cool guy probably half my age yet he has this ageless Buddha like calming all-knowing energy about him……and he kind of looks like a young Bob Marley which always makes me smile in his presence. He is a true healer in every sense of the word. When I sit in that chair and he asks me in his soft soothing voice what do I think I need help with today I inevitably feel like a little kid saying ‘I have a booboo here and a booboo there….’ sitting there all pouty and looking for help and I swear no-matter what the ailment whether I land up saying ‘I haven’t slept in ten days and the insomnia is making me drop things all over the place’….or ‘I am in love with someone I don’t want to be in love with-HELP!!’.…..or ‘my IT band is a wreck and I’ve been having trouble working out….’or ’my neck is stiff and my wrists hurt from my desk-job’…..no-matter what ails me he seems to have the right Band-Aid on hand for it. I always walk away feeling anew -with new perspective, feeling totally refreshed or healed somehow.….it is AMAZING!!

So yesterday I sat there and when he asked me what ails me I struggled for words to explain it…’everything feels off’ I said…’it’s as if all my emotions are trapped in bits and pieces all over the place at different points in my body and I feel totally chaotic inside….’ Is what I came up with finally? So he said ‘ok so if your emotions are all trapped inside what would you like me to do with it?’ ….WHAT!!!? I looked at him so lost as I said ‘I don’t know…’ and he said ‘would you like to feel all those emotions or make them go away?’- OK WOW!!! What a concept!!! Right!!!!? It was too loaded a question for me to even process fast enough to answer so I said ‘you decide for me; what do you think I should do with it?’ He gazed out of the window at the rain which was coming down pretty hard and he said ‘someone I look up to said to me –emotions are there to be felt’ and then he looked back at me quietly and I got it! So simple and so profound! Emotions are there to be felt! Nothing more and nothing less!! WOW!!!

Ah! If you’re wondering what I chose for my ‘Band-Aid’ at this stage….I said ‘Ok! Bring it on! Make me cry it all out or whatever!’ And if you’re still curious to ask how I felt during and after the treatment…..Well! I fell into a deep sleep for half hour after those needles were placed so carefully from head to toe on me….and when I awoke I felt like a brand new person ready to let the big and small waves come crashing at me and knock me down…knowing I’m strong enough for it…..knowing it was going to be ok to feel everything and just let it all in. I felt refreshed and exhausted all at once. Then I found myself crying the next morning but not from sadness or pain….just from an overwhelming sense of energy release; Not a bad feeling…except it came after I’d dabbed on the mascara…but that’s ok….raccoon eyes can be cleaned up and retouched.;-) Lol! 

Such an important lesson! I’ve struggled with it repeatedly in life and have to be careful not to forget! Emotions are not there to run away from, to hide away in some dark abyss inside us….when they show up perhaps it’s best to just stop to let them in and acknowledge them. Emotions are there to be felt! Love it!!! Like the heavy rain yesterday and the bright sun shining at us today…..It’s ALL GOOD!!

P.S. My acupuncturist since many of you have asked is: 
Farris Johnson @ OurSpace Acupuncture

No comments:

Post a Comment