Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Lonely-NOT!!

For me loneliness became a way of life almost three decades ago as a kid when I got displaced from my country of origin and my original family. What I also realized pretty early in life was that loneliness had nothing to do with people around me; as a student in NYC I learned that sometimes being in a crowd is indeed lonelier; and then again being in a marriage that did not suit me took my sense of loneliness to brand new heights right off the charts even. Little did I know what I realize now that loneliness is actually a choice and that it takes a lot of time and effort to cultivate and maintain within us.

Our species overpopulates the planet so being alone physically takes effort doesn't it? So we’re hardly ever alone really.…and in fact not only physically but in all our human experiences we are truly never alone….Wasn't it Socrates that said we humans are not capable of an original idea? Well…it makes sense…no thought nor emotion is exclusive to any one of our experiences; we share all of it with everyone around us. I even believe that our emotions come in a spectrum of colors like in a rainbow…and regardless of the complexity of our individual stories…each of us will experience every color in that rainbow during our lifetime albeit in different patterns and doses…our experiences are regardless completely shared.…for that is the very purpose of our time here-isn't it?

Perhaps it’s from coming to terms with so much of my own fears and pain…that the clouds finally began lifting from my vision…so it feels like the flood gates are opening up to show me that I’m surrounded by so many magical beautiful colorful souls all around me every day.….every passerby has something I can relate to or admire...…sometimes someone’s a bit tired…sometimes a bit lost….and like I used to be...sometimes just cloaked in fear and pain….and sometimes they are even aware….but mainly I feel so fortunate right now that I am blessed to see a world filled mostly with so much good than bad….and if I just took the time to approach individuals around me with an open heart and an open mind….a kind word….or a knowing smile…it is suddenly totally apparent….the big secret…that the world is my backyard and that everyone around me is a relative or a friend. Go figure!! The key was always in my hand….the secret to open up and let others in…to let go…to share together the wonders of our short and precious time right here, right now with laughter, love and kindness. Loneliness…well it’s just no longer my choice! Why waste anything beautiful by keeping it hidden away…we are all just that....and each of us deserves to be open and true to ourselves and to others. KUMBAYA-Style!! Why not!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment